~ Accepting New Clients
~ Area(s) Served: Austin, TX (locally) but can do remote for TX, CA, MT, WA, MN and nurse-compact states
~ Provides Virtual / Telehealth Services
About My Services:
- Type(s) of Advocacy: Administrative, Cancer, End of Life, Health Insurance, Health Management, Medical / Navigational, Older Adult Services
- Years of Experience: Less than 1 year with my own business, 28 years as a nurse
I have been a nurse for more than 20 years. I began my nursing career as a Navy Nurse Corps Officer working in critical care. Following my military career, I worked in the areas of public health in which I designed programs for the medically indigent population and helped those in need access medical care as well as educated the community on a variety of health issues. Additionally, I was a sexual assault nurse examiner and was responsible for evidence collection, education, advocacy, and an expert witness. All of this experience led me to path of teaching nursing in higher education for RN-BSN and pre-licensure students for many universities throughout the country.
I have always had a passion for teaching and helping others. This was the reason I became a nurse. Throughout my career, I have been drawn to helping friends and family members who were newly diagnosed and assisting them to advocate for the services they need and help with navigating through the healthcare system. In 2008, my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. While she had a very supportive husband, towards the end, her needs required a lot more in-depth care, and navigating through the healthcare system became very challenging for him. Although he was very diligent in making sure her needs were met, there were limitations and I was thankful I had the knowledge and compassion to help bridge the gap between the healthcare system, my mother, and her husband.
My services include:
- Act as a liaison between the patient, family members/caregiver, and medical professionals and help make connections with necessary resources
- Research and educate on diagnosis and treatment options and assist the client on the informed decision-making process.
- Prepare client for doctor’s appointment and accompany to the visit (or telehealth) and help translate medical language
- Review medical records and medications/supplements including interactions
- Healthcare coordination
Education, Training & Experience:
- University of Houston – Ed.D
- California State University, Dominguez Hills – MSN-Ed.
- Loma Linda University – BSN
Licensed Professional: Yes
- License Type: Nursing
Board Certified Patient Advocate: Yes
Educational Advocacy Certification: No
Susan McCoy, Ed.D., MSN-Ed., RN | Fleur De Lis Nurse-Patient Advocacy | Austin, TX 78641