~ Accepting New Clients
About My Services:
- Type(s) of Advocacy: Health Care Proxy, Health Insurance, Medical / Navigational, Older Adult Services, Other
- Years of Experience: Total 30+ years, including 10 years paid employment (1988 – current)
Hello! My name is Lisa Cassaro. I’m so glad you’re on your journey to create a better healthcare experience for you! To get started, here’s a little about my story:
In November 2019, I obtained my national credential as a Board Certified Patient Advocate, but began advocacy some 30 years ago, when my infant son was diagnosed with a terminal illness (before the internet!) – my son is ok and is now 32.
At one time, I had ambitions to become a nurse and became a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant), then enrolled in pre-Nursing courses at the local community college, while on the waiting list to be accepted for the RN program.
Life took another turn and I decided to pursue other ventures at the time, but I’ve always maintained my passion for life-long learning. In 2010, I completed the Cleveland State University Patient Advocate Certificate program, after my then 49-year-old husband lost his 18-month battle with a rare form of kidney cancer. My journey has included both professional and paraprofessional healthcare advocacy, including:
- 6 years as a Social Work Coordinator at a 95-bed Rehab/Skilled Nursing Facility
- 1 year – Cancer Genetic Counseling Assistant serving ~1,000 client
- 1 year Asst. Case Manager – 25 bed – Long Term Acute Care Hospital
- Non-Medical Case Manager to 150 clients in a statewide HIV Program
- 2 years-Co-Founder for an Amputee & Caregiver Community Support Group
- Founder Chronic Illness & Caregiver Community/Peer Support Group
- 840 hrs. CPE Hospital Chaplaincy training in Acute Care Hospitals & a Women’s Hospital
- Additional training in Hospice/Palliative Care – End of Life Support
Over the years, I’ve helped many family and friends by researching information and helped them understand their options for their own healthcare journey, for their loved one or in a bereavement experience. I look forward to talking to you, hearing about your story, and how I can help you meet your goals.
Education, Training & Experience:
- No degree, however completed college level courses including Psychology, Sociology, Human Ecology, Pre-RN-Psycho-Social Concepts in Nursing & other business and general education coursework.
Licensed Professional: No
Educational Advocacy Certification: Yes
- From: Cleveland State University Extension – Patient Advocate Certification – completed 2010
Additional Education & Training:
- 840 hrs. of Hospital Chaplaincy Training 2017-2018
- Former CNA, state of CA
Lisa Renee Cassaro, BCPA | Cope and Hope Advocates LLC | Bella Vista, AR 72715